With only one semester under my belt, I’m really in no place to give studio advice. But I’m going to anyway, so humor me. Maybe you find it helpful, and hopefully you can relate to the things I’ll discuss: like how to schedule your time, the best procrastination break ideas, and what to do when your professor destroys your model.
In this installment of my survival guide, here are some of the (less obvious) things you will want in your studio desk. Obviously you want extra exacto knife blades, and plenty of tacky glue. But what else?
- Office Supplies: scissors, glue stick, double sided tape, normal tape. For sketchbook creativity options, and just in case. These are things I knew I needed but kept forgetting.
- Snacks! For all-nighters, and because 4 hours of studio is difficult when you’re hungry and have no money for the vending machine.
- Band-Aids, for exacto knife incidents (cough, Paul, cough cough)
- Hair Binders, so your hair doesn’t get caught in the bandsaw.
- Plastic Silverware, because I always forget to bring it with my lunch.
- Red Solo Cups. Nope, not for break-time beer pong, but because they come in super handy during projects. Need to hold 55 scale bolt connectors less than a centimeter big? Red Solo Cup. Need to mix concrete? Red Solo Cup. Tacky glue is leaking? Red Solo Cup. Ordered pizza with a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper to share? Red Solo Cup(s). I’m telling you: you’ll use them if you have them.
So as you prepare to move back into your studio, or just restock your supplies, don’t forget these essentials! Any suggestions from fellow studio-goers?